Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Malaysia Series: The National Monument.

The first part of the monument.

On the same day we arrived on our last trip to Malaysia, we decided to stop at the National Monument. For those who don't know what it is, and as per Wikipedia states, and I quote: "The National Monument is a sculpture that commemorates those who died in Malaysia's struggle for freedom, principally against the Japanese occupation during World War II and the Malayan Emergency, which lasted from 1948 until 1960. It is located in the Federal capital, Kuala Lumpur."


Almost at the main statue.

At first, we were there to search for my uncle's name, although I might have confused the fact that he was a ranking Major in the English army during their time in Malaysia, and headed up the Penang Police force. So, apart from my lovely wife, I had other ties to Malaysia before! 

One thing about this last photo, as we were coming from Melbourne, Australia, it was relatively cold that evening. I think it was pushing 5 degrees celsius or colder, and as always, the air conditioning is on in the plane, so you always end up being cold. Then you arrive in Malaysia, and the humidity hits you like a wall! So here I am, in jeans and a polo and I'm dripping sweat all over. It was worth it though, the National Monument is well maintained and is a great example of Malaysia's history. 

The main statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment